Nick Bontis Canada Soccer

Canadian soccer governing body Canada Soccer has reportedly made a new compensation offer to its men’s and women’s national teams.

“While we will continue to negotiate confidentially with our men’s national team — as a willing and respectful partner — we are happy to inform the public that a revised proposal was sent on 23 June 2022,” Canada Soccer said in a released statement Monday. “We remain confident that an agreement will be made in due course.”

Canada Soccer also said an offer was made on the same day to the women’s national team, stating “both sides are working collaboratively towards an agreement.”

The released statement goes on to say that CS is looking “to equalize matters related to compensation for the player pool, travel policy, and the configuration of high-performance environments” between the two teams.

Canada Soccer Condemned Player Demand

Last month, the Canadian National Men’s Team refused to play in a friendly game versus Panama in Vancouver citing “unnecessarily prolonged” new contract negotiations. The players demanded a larger piece of the World Cup prize money and a “comprehensive friends and family package” for the World Cup tournament scheduled in November in Qatar.

Also last month, CS board member Nick Bontis held a press conference in response to the match cancellation to proclaim that the player demands were “untenable.” This left many fans and observers wondering how $10 million dollars of new revenue given by FIFA for qualifying for the World Cup had anything to do with Canada Soccer’s current operational budget.

CS also confirmed on Monday that the men’s team will play in a couple of international games in Europe on Sept. 23 and 27th.

“Canada Soccer is in the final stages of the contract process and will be announcing its opponents soon,” the release stated.

There are plans to have one final prep game in November, with opponents and location to be announced at a later time.

– Now You’re Caught Up In All The Hoopla!

Avatar photo

By K.A.